Alford erected a parochial poorhouse or almshouse in around 1856, using money provided by the Kirk Session. It was locally administered rather than operating as a statutory poorhouse under the central Board of Supervision.
The single-storey building was located about a mile to the west of Alford, at the east side of the old military road.
In 1904, the establishment had accommodation for 3 men, 3 women, amd 6 children.
The building still exists and is now known as Red Gates.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Aberdeen City Archives, Town House, Broad Street, Aberdeen AB10 1AQ, and Old Aberdeen House, Dunbar Street, Aberdeen AB24 3UJ.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.