Boleskine and Abertarff, Inverness-shire
In around 1879, the parish of Boleskine and Abertarff erected a poorhouse or almshouse which was administered by the Parochial Board rather than operating as a statutory poorhouse under the central Board of Supervision.
The building was located at the north side of Bunoich, Fort Augustus. Although not identified by the Ordnance Survey map of 1900, it is understood to be the property highlighted on the illustration below.
In 1904, it was recorded as having 6 large rooms and 6 large attics, with the inmates supervised by a resident matron.
The property is now known as The Old Almshouse.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Highland Archive Service, Bught Road, Inverness IV3 5SS, Scotland.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.