Dingwall, Ross and Cromarty
Dingwall had a parochial poorhouse by at least 1867. It was located at the junction of the High Street and Hill Street, as shown on the first edition Ordnance Survey map below.
In around 1888, the parish built a new poorhouse at a different site, with the old premises subsequently becoming the Royal Hotel.
In 1904, the new poorhouse — known as the Relief House and located on what is now Burn Court — was recorded as being able to house up to fourteen men or women.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Highland Archive Service, Bught Road, Inverness IV3 5SS, Scotland.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.