Gartly erected a parochial poorhouse in about 1874, financed by the poor rates. It was locally administered rather than operating as a statutory poorhouse under the central Board of Supervision.
The exact location of the premises is unknown but the 1881 census refers to the establishment as Gartly Station Poor House. In 1904, accommodation was available for 2 men, 2 women, and 2 children.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Aberdeen City Archives, Town House, Broad Street, Aberdeen AB10 1AQ, and Old Aberdeen House, Dunbar Street, Aberdeen AB24 3UJ.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.