Haddington, East Lothian
Haddington set up a parochial poorhouse or almshouse in around 1855. It was purchased and administered by the Parochial Board rather than operating as a statutory poorhouse under the central Board of Supervision. Unlike virtually all its neighbouring parishes, Haddington did not join the East Lothian Combination.
The poorhouse was located on Lydgait at the north of Haddington village. On the first edition Ordnance Survey map (approximately 1855), the building is identified at "The Huts". The second edition (approximately 1895) labels it as a poorhouse, while the third edition of c.1907 marks it as "Poorhouse (Disused)".
In 1904, the establishment was recorded as being able to house up to ten men and ten women.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- East Lothian Archives, John Gray Centre, 15 Lodge St, Haddington, EH41 3DX.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.