The parish of Kilarrow established a small poorhouse or almshouse in about 1874. It was locally administered rather than operating as a statutory poorhouse under the central Board of Supervision.
The location of the establishment is unclear but the owner of the building made no charge for its use by the parish. In 1904, it was recorded as being able to accommodate up to two men and two women.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Argyll and Bute Council Archives, Manse Brae, Lochgilphead PA31 8QU, Scotland.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.