St Andrews, Fife
The parish of St Andrews and St Leonards establish a parochial poorhouse or almshouse in about 1854. It was locally administered rather than operating as a statutory poorhouse under the central Board of Supervision.
The poorhouse was located at 36 North Street and on the 1893 map was identified as the "East Poorhouse". In 1904, it could accommodate 4 men and 13 women, together with a resident matron.
The premises were later known as a "home of rest" or convalescent home but are now used as offices.
- Fife Council Archive Centre, Carleton House The Haig Business Park, Balgonie Road, Markinch, Glenrothes KY7 6AQ.
This page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.