Lochgilphead Combination, Argyllshire
Lochgilphead Combination comprised the 5 parishes of Glassary, Kilmaconnell and Kilberry, Kilmartin, North Knapdale and South Knapdale. The total population of the member parishes in 1881 was 10,926.
Lochgilphead Combination Poorhouse was erected in 1861 on what became Hospital Road to the east of Lochgilphead. It was designed by local architect/builder David Crow. Its location and layout are shown on the 1899 map below.
The buildings comprised a main block running east-west at the south of the site,
A small block, perhaps an infirmary, lay facing on to the road at the north of the site.
The poorhouse suffered damage in a fire in about 1920. The surviving buildings are now used as office accommodation.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Argyll and Bute Council Archives, Manse Brae, Lochgilphead PA31 8QU, Scotland. Holdings: Minute books (1856-1930, with gaps).
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.