St George's Home, Chelsea
St George's Home was a 50-bed sanatorium for the treatment of female tuberculosis patients, operated by the Metropolitan Asylums Board. It opened on 14th May, 1914, and was located in premises on Milman's Street, Chelsea, rented from the City of Westminster Union who had formerly run a children's receiving home there.
In 1930, control of the Home passed to the London County Council and it became part of the NHS in 1948. The LCC bought the building back in 1956 for use as a hostel. It was demolished in the 1980s and replaced by housing by 1989
The Ancestry website has two collections of London workhouse records:
- The London Workhouse Admission and Discharge Records (1738-1930) are searchable by name.
- The Poor Law and Board of Guardian Records, 1430-1930 are more extensive but only provide browsable page images.
- The FindMyPast website has workhouse / poor law records for Westminster.
- London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R OHB. Holdings include Administrative records (1902-48); Staff records (1902-28).
- Ayers, Gwendoline, M. (1971) England's First State Hospitals and the Metropolitan Asylums Board (Wellcome Institute of the History of Medicine, London).
- Powell, Sir Allan (1930) The Metropolitan Asylums Board and its Work, 1867-1930. (MAB, London)
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.