St Margaret's Hospital, Kentish Town
St Margaret's Hospital on Leighton Road in Kentish Town was one of two specialist institutions in the field of venereal and related diseases operated by the Metropolitan Asylums Board, the other being the Sheffield Street Hospital which operated from 1919 as a women's venereal disease hospital.
St Margaret's opened In 1917 for the treatment of Ophthalmia Neonatorum — a form of conjunctivitis mostly commonly contracted during delivery by an infant whose mother is infected with gonorrhoea. By 1929, it was admitting around 150 mothers and 250 babies a year, although this was only one third of all notified cases of the condition in London.
The Ancestry website has two collections of London workhouse records:
- The London Workhouse Admission and Discharge Records (1738-1930) are searchable by name.
- The Poor Law and Board of Guardian Records, 1430-1930 are more extensive but only provide browsable page images.
- The FindMyPast website has workhouse / poor law records for Westminster.
- London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R OHB. Holdings include general and administrative papers. No patient records are thought to survive.
- Ayers, Gwendoline, M. (1971) England's First State Hospitals and the Metropolitan Asylums Board (Wellcome Institute of the History of Medicine, London).
- Powell, Sir Allan (1930) The Metropolitan Asylums Board and its Work, 1867-1930. (MAB, London)
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.