Forfar, Angus (Forfarshire)
Forfar erected a poorhouse at the south side of Arbroath Road in Forfar. It opened its doors on 28th June 1861 and could accommodate up to 85 inmates.
Apart from a small block near the entrance to the site, the buildings have now been demolished and replaced by a residential care development.
After 1930, the poorhouse became the Lordburn House Poor Law Institution serving Forfar and the county of Angus. It provided accommodation for the chronic sick, maternity cases and 'mental defectives'.
Forfar also established an infirmary on a nearby site at the north side of Arbroath Road.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Angus Archives, Hunter Library, Restenneth Priory, By Forfar DD8 2SZ.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.