Douglas/Carnwath Combination, Lanarkshire
A cottage at 122 Main Street, Carnwath, is reputed to have once been a poorhouse.
The Douglas Combination was formed in 1853 and comprised the parishes of: Biggar, Mid Calder, West Calder, Carnwath, Culter, Douglas, Kirknewton, Wandell & Lamington, and Wiston & Roberton. Following the withdrawal of Douglas, it was renamed the Carnwath Combination in 1859 but appears to have disbanded by 1865. Despite receiving approval for a poorhouse site and plans, none seems to have been set up.
Biggar subsequently juined the Peebles Combination.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Glasgow City Archives, The Mitchell Library, 210 North Street, Glasgow G3 7DN, Scotland.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.