Galashiels Combination, Selkirkshire
Galashiels Combination was formed in around 1859 and comprised the parishes of Galashiels, Bowden, Melrose, Selkirk, and Yarrow, joined in around 1900 by Caddonfoot. The total population of the member parishes in 1881 was 28,944. The Combination poorhouse, designed by James Campbell Walker, was erected on Kirkbrae in Galashiels in 1859-60. The site location and layout are shown on the 1899 map below.
After 1930, the poorhouse was renamed Windyknowe Public Assistance Institution, then in 1950 became the Eildon View Home. A residential care home for the elderly now operates on the premises.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Scottish Borders Archive and Local History Centre, Heritage Hub, Kirkstile, Hawick TD9 0AE. Holdings include: Parochial board records (1846-1930); Poorhouse records (1881-1949); Eildon View Home records ( 1950-1975); Poor Law Magazine and Parochial Journal (1885-6).
- Government and Social Conditions in Scotland 1845-1919 by Ian Levitt (1988, Scottish History Society)
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.