Kincardineshire Combination, Kincardineshire
A parish poorhouse or almshouse existed at the south-east of Strachan. It was in operation until at least 1900, later being converted to a house known as Haughhead Cottage. The building no longer exists.
The parish of Banchory-Ternan had a row of four poorhouses located a mile to the north-east of Banchory. The buildings survive as Tilly-Braik (or Tillybrake) Cottages with each of the original pairs of cottages now converted into a single residence.
The Kincardineshire Combination was formed in 1865. It initially comprised eleven parishes but this soon grew to fifteen comprising: Arbuthnot, Banchory-Devenick, Banchory-Ternan, Bervie, Dunottar, Durris, Fettercairn, Fetteresso, Fordoun, Glenbervie, Kinneff, Laurencekirk, Maryculter, Marykirk and Strachan. The parish of Benholm was a later member. The total population of the member parishes in 1881 was 30,615.
The Kincardineshire Combination poorhouse was erected in 1867-8 on Woodcot Brae at the south-west of the Stonehaven. Its location and layout are shown on the 1903 map below.
An entrance lodge stood at the south-east entrance to the site.
The main building was a typical H-shaped layout. The larger front block at the east was a corridor plan building with a central portion which would have contained the Master's quarters, committee rooms and clerk's office. The two wings of the front block contained male and female accommodation, probably with the aged at the front side and able-bodied or "dissolute" inmates at the rear. Children's quarters were usually placed at the far end of each wing.
The poorhouse dining-hall and chapel were located in the central block at the rear. In the rear range of single-storey buildings were found various work and utility rooms including a bakehouse on the men's side and laundry on the female side.
In 1930, the building was taken over by Kincardine County Council and became Woodcot Hospital, continuing to provide accommodation for 'the ordinary poor, harmless lunatics, mental defectives and chronic sick'.
In 1948, it transferred to the National Health Service and continued in operation until the late 1990s. The buildings have now been converted for residential use.
- Northern Health Services Archives, Victoria Pavilion, Woolmanhill Hospital, Aberdeen AB25 1LD. Holdings include: Administrative records (1862-1980); Admissions and discharges (1867-1978); etc.
- The Third Statistical Account of the County of Kincardine by Dennis Smith (Scottish Academic Press, 1988)
This page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.