From the 1850s, Huntly operated a parochial poorhouse in premises which, in 1904, were being rented at £18 12s. per annum. It was locally administered rather than operating as a statutory poorhouse under the central Board of Supervision.
According to the 1881 census, the poorhouse was located at 26 George Street, Huntly, and had 9 inmates (2 men and 7 women). In 1904, however, accommodation was recorded as being available for 14 men.
The original George Street building appears to no longer exist.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Aberdeen City Archives, Town House, Broad Street, Aberdeen AB10 1AQ, and Old Aberdeen House, Dunbar Street, Aberdeen AB24 3UJ.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.