Cabrach had a parochial poorhouse by at least 1872. It was built and administered by the Parochial Board rather than operating as a statutory poorhouse under the central Board of Supervision.
The property was located about a mile to the north of Cabrach village and is identified as a poorhouse on both the Ordnance Survey first edition (approximately 1872) and second edition (approximately 1901) maps. The maps indicate that it comprised three separate apartments. In 1904, the establishment was recorded as being able to house up to three men and three women under the care of a matron.
The building no longer survives.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Aberdeen City Archives, Town House, Broad Street, Aberdeen AB10 1AQ, and Old Aberdeen House, Dunbar Street, Aberdeen AB24 3UJ.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.