- Anonymous (1885) Indoor Paupers by 'One of Them' — the only full-length first-hand account of workhouse life.
- The Diary of William Barlow, workhouse master of Bishop's Stortford (1848-1850)
- Duncan Cumming (1901) Life In A London Workhouse
- George Green Gabb, Master of Droitwich Workhouse Master (1849-53) compiled by Martin Gabb.
- The colourful career of William Bragger, Master of Wrexham workhouse (1857-1863) researched by his great-great-great grandson Andrew Taylor.
- H Preston-Thomas (1909) The Work and Play of a Government Inspector
- Rogers, Joseph (1889) Reminiscences of a Workhouse Medical Officer
- Shaw, Charles (1903) When I was a Child includes memories of the Wolstatnton and Burslem workhouse at Chell which Shaw entered as a child in 1842.
- Sommerville, W.A. (1899) Rowton House — from a Resident
- "W.H.R." (1874) The autobiography of a pauper boy, showing his ascent from the condition of a street Arab to competence and respectability
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.