Chapel of Garioch, Aberdeenshire
As the result of a gift, Chapel of Garioch established a parochial poorhouse or almshouse in 1845. It was locally administered rather than operating as a statutory poorhouse under the central Board of Supervision.
The building was located at the Hillhead of Pitbee, around a mile to the north-west of Chapel of Garioch village. It is identified as a poorhouse on both the first edition (1869) or second edition (1900) Ordnance Survey maps.
In 1904, the establishment had accommodation for 9 men, 9 women and 18 children.
The building is understood no longer to exist.
There was also a poorhouse at Moss-side, in the vicinity of Red Moss, around three miles to the north of Old Meldrum.
- Chapel of Garioch Hillhead of Pitbee Paupers' Lodging House - 1881 Census
- Chapel of Garioch Moss-Side Poorhouse - 1881 Census
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Aberdeen City Archives, Town House, Broad Street, Aberdeen AB10 1AQ, and Old Aberdeen House, Dunbar Street, Aberdeen AB24 3UJ.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.