By 1881, the parish of Lesmahagow (or Leshmahagow) was operating almshouses which the census of that year referred to as a parochial lodging house. The establishment was administered by the Parochial Board rather than operating as a statutory poorhouse under the central Board of Supervision.
The pair of almshouses were located at the north of Lesmahagow where Milton meets the Carlisle Road.
In 1904, the establishment could accommodate 19 people under the care of a resident matron. The original pair of houses was demolished as part of a road-widening scheme in the 1960s. However, a later group of four almshouses, immediately to the north of the original pair, still survives.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Glasgow City Archives, The Mitchell Library, 210 North Street, Glasgow G3 7DN, Scotland.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.